Dear Fellow Citizens (Ephesians 2:19)
Many members of the “household of God” do not approve of various policies of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Many of these Saints are voting their disapproval with their feet. They are simply leaving. It’s estimated that 80,000 members resigned last year alone. Many, many others have simply stopped attending.
The Savior has divinely ordained another option for voting…with the hand. Jesus voiced this option in D&C 128:13 “All things MUST be done by Common Consent in the church.” Actually, it isn’t an ‘option’ it is God’s LAW of church governance. This doctrine if further explained here on the official LDS website.
Common Consent Tools–Especially the Register
For those interested in expressing disapproval with an official vote, following are some helpful tools.
- Common Consent Register. Here is the opportunity to publicly record your disapproval. This is not affiliated with the church. Frankly, I believe the church should be doing something like this. If you plan to vote opposed or would like to, please click the link above and register your name. Our numbers might be small. But, in reality they are huge. If all who left the church last year had registered opposition on their way out, there would likely be 100,000 names recorded!!!
When you sign the Register, you are not required to explain exactly what your objection is. However, if you would like to elaborate, feel free to use the comment section.
- E-mail notification. Your Stake President and Bishop should be notified of your vote of disapproval. Feel free to use the linked examples for ideas, modification, or outright copying.
- Risks & Leadership Interview . (To be published soon.) Jesus put in place the Law of Common Consent. Theoretically, there should be no negative consequences from obeying this law. Unfortunately, there ARE risks in expressing disapproval. It’s likely that a local church leader will invite you to explain your vote in opposition. This should be a good thing. The document provided will shed light on both of these issues.
Articles on common consent:
- The Law of Common Consent—LDS Website
- Do we love Jesus enough to stand up for what we believe is right?
- Jesus PLEADS His Case for Common Consent
- The Only True Hope for the Only True Church
Finally, Where are the Good Men?
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” ― Edmund Burke
Where are the good men & women who will stand up for the marginalized in our midst? I know you are here.
Where are the good men & women who will speak up for “the least of these?” That should be all of us, right?
Where are the good men & women who will face down what they know to be wrong? I am confident that you exist.
Where are the good men & women who will advocate that the church obey Christ’s law of common consent? Well, here’s one! I hope there are thousands more.
5 thoughts on “A Register for Disapproval (Opposition)”
LikeLiked by 1 person